Can I prevent a UTI?
Once you experience a urinary tract infection, you'll do whatever it takes to prevent another UTI. However, recurring infections are actually quite common, with some women having 3 or more UTIs a year.
Since the bacteria that cause a UTI are most commonly found in the digestive tract and stool, their proximity to the female urethra increases the likelihood of an infection. In fact good hygiene is one of the keys to good urinary tract health.
However, UTIs may happen, no matter how careful you are. Luckily, there are things you can do to try and reduce your risk. The most important step is to talk with your doctor about urinary tract infection prevention. He or she may prescribe an antibiotic, or suggest lifestyle changes that could help you avoid a UTI.
Here are some other tips to help you maintain a healthy Urinary Tract:
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink 8-16 ounces of cranberry juice daily to keep bacteria from growing and clinging to your bladder wall. Or take AZO Cranberry tablets as a convenient way to maintain your healthy urinary tract without all the sugar or calories of cranberry juice. In fact, just two AZO Cranberry tablets equal the same amount of cranberry found in one glass of cranberry juice!*
- Wipe from front to back when you go to the bathroom.
- If you are sexually active, go to the bathroom right after you have sex.
- Go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the need, rather than when the urge becomes strong.
- Use tampons instead of sanitary pads and change them every three to four hours.
- Wear clean cotton underwear that will allow air circulation and discourage the warm, moist environment necessary for bacteria growth.
- Don't hang around in a wet bathing suit or on a damp towel. Get into dry stuff as soon as you can.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes like ultra skin-tight jeans.
Can cranberries really help?
Yes. Studies show that cranberries, which are loaded with antioxidants, can help prevent bacteria in the urinary tract from attaching to the bladder wall. To get benefits of cranberry juice without all the sugar, try AZO Cranberry caplets, which helps flush to maintain urinary tract cleanliness.*