The material provided below is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the diagnosis or treatment by a qualified healthcare professional. You should always seek medical advice before consuming any new medicines or supplements. AZO products referenced on this website are not intended to treat, cure, or prevent any disease such as overactive bladder, urinary tract infections, or vaginal infections.
Of course, there are no guarantees when it comes to protecting against the risk of a yeast infection, but that doesn’t mean you have to just sit back crossing your fingers one doesn’t strike. Here are a few ways you can take matters into your own hands.
To help protect against the risk of yeast infections:
- Wear loose, natural-fiber clothing and underwear with a cotton crotch.
- Limit how often you wear pantyhose or leotards.
- Use your blow dryer on a low, cool setting to help dry your genital area after you bathe or shower and before getting dressed.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet. This may help prevent the bacteria that normally live in your rectum from getting into your vagina.
- Change out of wet swimsuits or other damp clothes as soon as you can.
- Don’t douche or use feminine hygiene sprays, deodorant sanitary pads or tampons, or bubble baths, and avoid using colored or perfumed toilet paper.
- Avoid baths, hot tubs and whirlpool spas where hot water may contribute to bacteria.
To help lower your risk of other vaginal infections like bacterial vaginosis (BV):
- Practice safe sex
- Limit your number of sex partners
- Avoid douching
Get Proactive with Probiotics for Vaginal Health
Yes you read that correctly. Why should guts get all the glory? More and more research is pointing to the importance of a healthy vaginal microbiome—the cohabitation of groups of bacteria in your vagina that serve as your first line of defense to maintain feminine health. Strong as the defense may be, it’s susceptible to disruption from a number of triggers, including sex, your period, a round of antibiotics and so on. Adding a daily probiotic like AZO Complete Feminine BalanceTM to your routine helps support natural defenses.* The four-strain probiotic, INTELLIFLORATM, is shown to help colonize that good bacteria to keep your vaginal microflora in balance.*
Despite your best efforts, if you do start feeling vaginal infection symptoms, make an appointment to see your doctor. And help relieve the symptoms with AZO Yeast® Plus.‡‡
Vaginal infection confusion? Learn the signs of a vaginal yeast infection.