Only trusted brand“I’ve used AZO for years and trust no other. It works fast too. Love the new Urinary Tract Defense!!”
The formula in AZO Urinary Tract Defense® Combines:
- Methenamine, a powerful anti-bacterial medicine that works by slowing down the growth of the bacteria along the urinary tract and helping to control your UTI.
- Sodium Salicylate, a NSAID that provides general pain relief.
Take AZO Urinary Tract Defense® at the first sign—burning, urgency… you know the drill—of a UTI to help slow the progression of the infection.∞ From the #1 Most Trusted Brand in urinary health.†
Can be taken at the first sign of a UTI
Slows down bacterial growth∞
Provides general pain relief
Purpose: Relief from pain & burning, frequency and urgency of urination.
- Adults and children 12 years and over: take 2 tablets with a full glass of water 3 times a day. Drink plenty of fluids.
- Children under 12 years: ask a doctor Tamper evident: tablets sealed in blisters. Do not use if blister foil or seal is open or damaged
Do not use:
- if you are on a sodium restricted diet
- if you are allergic to salicylates (including aspirin) unless directed by a doctor
- if you have stomach problems (such as heartburn, upset stomach, or stomach pain) that persist or recur, or if you have ulcers or bleeding problems unless directed by a doctor
Ask a doctor before use if you have:
- frequent, burning urination for the first time
- the stomach bleeding warning applying to you
- history of stomach problems, such as heartburn
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
- liver cirrhosis
- bleeding problems
- diuretic use
- kidney disease
- reached age 60 or older
Warnings: Reye’s syndrome: Children and teenagers who have or are recovering from chicken pox or flu-like symptoms should not use this product. If changes in behavior with nausea and vomiting occur, consult a doctor because these symptoms could be an early sign of Reye’s syndrome, a rare but serious illness.
Stomach bleeding warning: This product contains an NSAID, which may cause stomach bleeding. The chance is higher if you:
- take other drugs containing prescription or nonprescription NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen or others)
- have 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day while using this product
- have stomach ulcers or bleeding problems
- take a blood thinning (anticoagulant) or steroid drug
- are age 60 or older
- take more or for a longer time than directed
(NSAID Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug)
Frequently Asked Questions
Bacteria entering the urinary tract system and attaching to the bladder wall typically cause urinary tract infections. The most common bacteria to cause a UTI is E.coli.1
The most common UTI symptoms are:
- Pain or painful urination
- Frequent need to urinate
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Bladder spasm
- Lower back pain
If you experience any of these symptoms, immediately consult your physician. Learn more about common UTI symptoms and about diagnosing a UTI.
No. The only clinically proven cure for a UTI is a prescription antibiotic. AZO Urinary Tract Defense will only help inhibit the progression of infection until you see a healthcare professional. AZO is not intended to replace medical care.
AZO Urinary Tract Defense and AZO Urinary Pain Relief contain different active ingredients that provide different UTI relief benefits. AZO Urinary Tract Defense contains methenamine to help control the infection until you can seek medical treatment and sodium salicylate to provide general pain relief. AZO Urinary Pain Relief contains phenazopyridine hydrochloride which provides fast, targeted relief for pain, burning and urgency associated with a UTI.
Please consult your doctor if you are taking any other prescription medications before taking AZO Urinary Tract Defense. AZO Urinary Tract Defense should not be taken with sulfonamide drugs. Products that decrease the acidity of the urine (such as antacids, sodium bicarbonate, potassium or sodium citrate, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors such as acetazolamide) may reduce the effectiveness of AZO Urinary Tract Defense. AZO Urinary Tract Defense should not be taken with anticoagulants, steroid drugs, or in addition to other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and others).
No. The tablets are intended to be taken whole, and should not be cut, chewed or crushed.
No. AZO Urinary Tract Defense will not stain your skin.
No. AZO Urinary Tract Defense will not change the color of your urine.