The material provided below is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the diagnosis or treatment by a qualified healthcare professional. You should always seek medical advice before consuming any new medicines or supplements.
Learn how to protect against a UTI
Once you experience a urinary tract infection, you'll do whatever it takes to avoid another UTI.
UTIs may happen, no matter how careful you are. Luckily, there are things you can do to try and reduce your risk of a UTI. The most important step is to talk with your doctor about urinary tract infection protection. He or she may prescribe an antibiotic, or suggest lifestyle changes that could help you avoid a UTI.
Here are some other tips to help you maintain a healthy urinary tract and protect against Urinary Tract Infections:
- Drink lots of water.
- Consume a cranberry supplement or juice on a daily basis to help keep bacteria from clinging to your bladder wall. Try AZO Cranberry® Caplets, AZO Cranberry® Softgels or AZO Cranberry® Gummies as a convenient way to maintain your healthy urinary tract without extra sugar (Note: AZO Cranberry Gummies only contain 2 grams of sugar per serving) or calories found in cranberry juice.* In fact, just two AZO Cranberry Caplets or AZO Cranberry Gummies equal the same amount of cranberry found in one glass of cranberry juice!*†† Or you could drink 8-16 ounces of cranberry juice daily. But who likes the taste of cranberry juice?
- Wipe from front to back when you go to the bathroom.
- If you are sexually active, go to the bathroom right after you have sex.
- Go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the need, rather than when the urge becomes strong.
- Use tampons instead of sanitary pads and change them every three to four hours.
- Wear clean cotton underwear that will allow air circulation and discourage the warm, moist environment necessary for bacteria growth.
- Don't hang around in a wet bathing suit or on a damp towel. Get into dry stuff as soon as you can.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes like ultra skin-tight jeans.
How can cranberries help with my urinary health?
Studies show that cranberries, which are loaded with antioxidants, can help prevent bacteria in the urinary tract from attaching to the bladder wall. To get the benefits of cranberry juice with less sugar and calories (Note: AZO Cranberry Gummies only contain 2 grams of sugar per serving) try AZO Cranberry Caplets, AZO Cranberry Softgels or AZO Cranberry Gummies, with Pacran®, a whole fruit cranberry powder (with the equivalent of 25,000 mg fresh cranberries per serving) which help flush to maintain urinary tract cleanliness.*